I've been actively been avoiding White to try out other types of decks, but I think I should go back to drafting based on card strength rather than forcing a strategy that isn't available.
Entry
2 Tix, 1 BNG Booster, 2 THS BoostersRares
NonePrizes/Sold
1 THS BoosterDraft
Picks
Pool
Today I was going to try my best to avoid playing White. I first picked a Kiora's Follower and tried to force it. I definitely felt like someone nearby was also in my colors by the end of pack 2, but I stubbornly stuck to my colors.
By the end of the third pack, I wasn't really sure what I was seeing. I saw a Voyaging Satyr wheel, 3 Nessian Asps, and a lot of cards that made me wish I was in Red or White instead.
Decklist
The deck felt like it was going to be bad as the draft went on, and I'm just crossing my fingers that it can get a win or two. The hope was to survive long enough to play a large creature and go to town with it.
Games
Round 1
First round was against a WR deck.Game 1 - 329822654
My opponent opens with an Opaline Unicorn enchanted with a Fearsome Temper while I a Guardians of Meletis. I play a Brozne Sable into Pheres-Band Centaur which is removed with a Chained to the Rocks and my opponent plays a Borderland Minotaur enchanted with Thunderous Might. They kill my Guardians with their Unicorn and a Bolt of Keranos. They play a Cyclops of One-Eyed Pass. I try to kill the Minotaur with a Mortal's Resolve, but my Sable is killed with a Lightning Strike. I play a Vulpine Goliath but they use Portent of Betrayal to take it and win.I got mana screwed this game - I didn't get any green mana so I couldn't play most of my cards. I kept a 7 card hand with an Island and Swamp, so perhaps I should have taken a mulligan.
Game 2 - 329824318
Mulligan to 6 due to 1 land hand.I open with a Traveler's Amulet into Voyaging Satyr. I sacrifice the Amulet to get a swamp and play Pheres-Band Centaur. Opponent plays Akroan Phalanx. They remove my Centaur with Chained to the Rocks. I play Guardians of Meletis which dies to a Battlewise Valor. I play a Pharika's Mendor. They try to kill it with a Bolt of Keranos, but I save it with a Mortal's Resolve. They play an Akroan Hoplite. I play Guardians of Meletis. They play Traveling Philosopher. I play Vulpine Goliath. They play Thunderous Might on their Phalanx, and an Opaline Unicorn. I play a Nessian Asp. On the next turn, I swing with both Goliath and Asp, and they chump block the Goliath with a Philosopher, and kill it with a Lightning Strike. They exile my Guardians with a Revoke Existance. They swing with their two Akroans. I play Crypsis to untap the Asp to block the Phalanx, and trade the my Gorgon with their Hoplite. My asp kills their Unicorn on the next turn, and I win the game.
Game 3 - 329827012
I open with a Voyaging Satyr into Satyr Wayfinder and my opponent an Anax and Cymede which I kill with a Mortal's Resolve. They play a Cyclops of One-Eyed Pass. I play a Guardians of Meletis, and a Kiora's Follower which is killed with a Bolt of Keranos. I play Vulpine Goliath which is exiled with a Chained to the Rocks. They enchant their cyclops with a Thunderous Might, and exile my Guardians with a Revoke Existance. I play my second Voyaging Satyr.They swing with the cyclops, and I play Triton Tactics and untap two of my Satyrs, one of which trades. I play Agent of Horizons and they play Borderland Minotaur. I swing with the Agent and play Opaline Unicorn. They play Traveling Philosopher and I chump block the Minotaur with my Wayfinder. I play Brozne Sable which trades with the Minotaur and my Voyaging Satyr, and they kill my Agent with a Lightning Strike.
I play Pharika's Mendor to get my Agent back, and my opponent concedes the game.
I found it interesting that at some times, I was able to tell whether they had a combat trick based on whether or not they would old creatures back in an attack.
Round 2
This round was against a BR(G) deck.Game 1 - 329829400
I open with a Voyaging Satyr into Guardians of Meletis and my opponent a Fate Unraveler into Polis Crusher. They swing with both, and block the Crusher with my Guardians. They try to kill it with a Titan's Strength, but I save it with a Mortal's Resolve, and they kill my Voyaging Satyr with a Weight of the Underworld.They play a Deathbellow Raider and bestow Nyxborn Rollicker onto the Unraveler. I play Chorus of the Tides. They monstrous their Cyclops and win the game.
Game 2 - 329830778
+ Unravcel the Aether+ Annul
- Feral Invocation
- Sudden Storm
I mulligan to 6 due to a 1 land hand.
I open with a Chorus of the Tides which is killed with a Weight of the Underworld. I play a Pheres-Band Centaur which they kill with an Asphyxiate. I play Nessian Asp and they play an Ill-Tempered Cyclops. I play Stratus Walk on my asp. They monstrous their Cyclops and swing, I play Ordeal of Nylea on my Asp. They bestow their cyclops with Purphoros's Emissary which I put back in their deck with an Unravcel the Aether. I play Nylea's Emissary and win the game.
Game 3 - 329832176
My opponent opens with a Nyxborn Eidolon which trades with my Brozne Sable. They play a Ragemonger. I play Guardians of Meletis and they play Fate Unraveler. They bestow Nyxborn Rollicker on their Minotaur, and I send their Unraveler into their deck with an Unravcel the Aether. I play Chorus of the Tides and they bestow their Ragemonger with a Baleful Eidolon.They play Felhide Minotaur. I kill it with a Crypsis and chump block the Ragemonger with my Guardians. They play Purphoros's Emissary. I use Mortal's Resolve to chump block the Ragemonger. They play a Polis Crusher. I play a Nessian Asp. They monstrous the Polis Crusher and swing with all. I try to stop the Cyclops with a Triton Tactics, but they play a Coordinated Assult and win the game.
This game I got mana flooded. I had 7 mana on turn 10, and the 2 scrys I got out of my Chorus were lands. Looking at the top card of my deck after the game revealed yet another land.
Round 3
Final round was against a tempo UB deck.Game 1 - 329834746
My opponent opens with a Returned Phalanx into Blood-Toll Harpy and I an Opaline Unicorn. I play Nessian Asp which they Griptide. I replay the Asp and they Retraction Helix it and play a Prognostic Sphinx. I replay the asp again. They bestow their Sphinx with a Flitterstep Eidolon, and kill me later with a Gray Merchant of Asphodel.Game 2 - 329836064
+ Shredding Wings- Feral Invocation
Mulligan to 6 due to a 5 land hand.
I open with a Kiora's Follower into Brozne Sable into Guardians of Meletis and my opponent a Meletis Astronomer into Servant of Tymaret. They bestow Spiteful Returned on their Astronomer. I play Nessian Asp. They play Master of Waves, and later kill my asp with a Sip of Hemlock. I play my second Nessian Asp. They play a Prognostic Sphinx. They bounce my asp with a Retraction Helix. I replay my asp, and they bestow Flitterstep Eidolon on their Sphinx and I lose the game.
Painfully enough, Shredding Wings was just two turns too far away from when I needed it the most.
Lessons Learned
- Don't force decks, in a color that isn't open. More often than not they won't work out very well.


No comments:
Post a Comment