Saturday, March 29, 2014

BNG Draft #10

This draft I went 2-1 with a WR deck that was a swarm/heroic hybrid.  I managed to make it into the finals, but misplays on my part cost me the game - one instance I kept a hand I should have thrown back, and another was a miscount on mana.  Overall, the deck felt fairly consistent although I think it would have been better if I was able to stick more to the swarm theme, or be in green or blue for heroic.

Unfortunately I forgot to record most of the game numbers this time, so most will not have replays with them.


Entry

2 Tix, 1 BNG Booster, 2 THS Boosters

Rares

Hero of IroasMindreaverTemple of SilenceAnger of the GodsSoldier of the Pantheon

Prizes/Sold

1 BNG Booster, 1 THS Booster

Draft


Picks





Final List



Pack one got me going down White, and I saw a number of good red removal.

I haven't tried a swarm deck yet, so figured I would give it a shot.  I was only hoping that I would be able to pick up all the white cards in the THS packs to make it worth my while.  Seeing a Pinicle of rage come back on a third last pick gave me hope that red was open.

In pack two I took a Temple of Silence thinking that it would at least give me the option to splash if I needed to.  I had a lot of double red cards near the end of this pack, so at least my mana base wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Midway through pack three, I was a little worried as to whether I had enough play

I mad a mid-pick Hopeful Eidolon and Spearpoint Oread which really helped my heroic trigger count out.  I did notice a lot of blue and green cards going around, so maybe I should have been there instead.

Final Decklist




I considered splashing black, but ultimately, I think it would have been too slow to main deck, considering how I was trying to swarm my opponent.  In the case I needed to slow my deck down, I had a Sentry of the Underworld in my sideboard.

It also ended up being a partial heroic deck with the bestow creatures and enchantments.  This wasn't intentional, but given the cards that got passed around, that's what I had to work with.

Games


Round 1

The first match against a BG(U) deck.

Game 1 - 327299438

Opponent takes a mulligan to 6.

I open with a Soldier of the Pantheon while my opponent a Returned Phalanx.  I swing and they don't block.  Opponent plays a Voyaging Satyr and I swing again, and this time they block.  I use a Fall of the Hammer to kill it as they are low on cards.  They next play a Nessian Demolock which I play tribute to.  I play a Cyclops of One-Eyed Pass.  They bestow the Demolock with a Leafcrown Dryad, and play a Deepwater Hypnotist.  I play a Traveling Philosopher and Elite Skirmisher.  They play Shrike Harpy and I sacrifice my philosopher.  I trade my cyclops and skirmisher with the Demolock and play a Stoneshock Giant, and a Lagonna-Band Elder the next turn.  They play Opaline Unicorn.  I play Two-Headed Cerberus, then an Anvilwrought Raptor, which dies to a Mortal's Resolve.

I monstrous my giant and swing with it.  They play Fate Foretold on their Hypnotist, and play a Nessian Courser.  They chump block my giant on it's next swing.  Unfortunately, I couldn't stop their harpy and lost the game.

I was too aggressive in the beginning and should have saved my Fall of the Hammer for when It was needed.

Game 2

Lots of low cost creatures, so I added in a board wipe as a backup.
Anger of the Gods
Soldier of the Pantheon

Kept a one land hand hoping to draw one in the next two turns.

I open with a Traveling Philosopher into Wingsteed Rider into Elite Skirmisher while my opponent a Deepwater Hypnotist into Divination into Returned Phalanx and Vortex Elemental.  I kill the Phalanx with a Rise to the Challenge.

They play Triton Fortune Hunter.  I bestow Wingsteed with a Hopeful and swing with all.  My Philosopher trades with the Hypnotist, and the Vortex and Skirmisher gets shuffled back into the decks.  Opponent plays Fate Foretold on the Fortune Hunter and play an Omenspeaker.  I attack with Wingsteed and kill my opponent with a Bolt of Keranos.


Game 3

Mulligan to 6 due to a 1 land hand.

Opponent opens with Voyaging Satyr into Returned Phalanx enchanted with a Ordeal of Nylea while I a Hero of Iroas enchanted with Chosen by Heliod.  I bestow Hero with an Observant Alseid.  They play a Vortex Elemental which I kill with a Searing Blood and play a Elite Skirmisher, which they kill with a Time to Feed.  Opponent plays an Omenspeaker.  They Griptide my Hero but I kill their Phalanx with a Fall of the Hammer.  I replay my Hero of Iroas and play a Two-Headed Cerberus.  They play a Opaline Unicorn and a Fate Foretold on it.

They play a Nessian Demolock and I don't tribute it this time.  I play a Lagonna-Band Elder.  They then timeout and I win

Even without the timeout, they only had 3 life left, so a win wasn't too far off anyways.

Round 2

This round was against an aggressive WG deck.

Game 1

I open with a Soldier of the Pantheon into Wingsteed Rider while they a Leafcrown Dryad into Nyxborn Wolf.  I play a  Lagonna-Band Elder which trades with the Dryad.  They play Nylea's Emissary and I a Two-Headed Cerberus which is killed with a Dauntless Onslaught, and they play a Nyxborn Shieldmate.  I bestow the Wingsteed with a Spearpoint Oread.  They kill my Soldier with a Time to Feed.  Due to lack of blockers on my board, I lose the game.

Game 2

Anger of the Gods
Arena Athlete

I open with Hero of Iroas while they a Nessian Courser.  I bestow hero with Observant Alseid.  They bestow the Courser with Leafcrown Dryad.  I play Cavalry Pegasus.  I swing with Hero and my Pegasus, they block the Hero with the Courser and use Artisan's Sorrow to remove my Alseid.  However, I play Rise to the Challenge to give my creature first strike.  They play Courser of Kruphix.  I bestow Hero with Spearpoint Oread, and they block my Pegasus with the Dryad.

They play Staunch-Hearted Warrior, and I win by hitting my opponent with a Bolt of Keranos.

Game 3

I open with Hero of Iroas into Traveling Philosopher and they an Oreskos Sun Guide.  They play Leafcrown Dryad which is killed with a Rise to the Challenge.  They play a second Leafcrown Dryad which trades with my Philosopher.  I play Stoneshock Giant.  Their Sun Guide blocks the giant, and I play Wingsteed Rider.  They play Nemesis of Mortals.  I bestow Wingsteed with a Spearpoint Oread, and they Excoriate it.  I bestow Hero with Nyxborn Shieldmate and win the game.

My opponent played their 4th and final land on turn 6 in an 8 turn game, so it looked like they got mana screwed.  However, they let me play first, and didn't mulligan their hand.  They showed me their hand afterwards, and it didn't really look much better.  Not really sure what they were thinking keeping that hand against an aggressive deck like I was playing.

Round 3

Last round was against an aggressive BR deck.

Game 1

Mulligan to 6 due to a 1 land hand.

I open with a Nyxborn Shieldmate into Soldier of the Pantheon while they an Asphodel Wanderer into Deathbellow Raider into Nyxborn Eidolon.  I double-block the eidolon  and they play Coordinated Assault to kill both.  They play Servant of Tymaret.  I play Elite Skirmisher.  They play Minotaur Skullcleaver which trades with an Elite Skirmisher, and I lose

Not really sure why I kept that hand - definitely should have taken a Mulligan down to 5.

Game 2


Anger of the Gods
Soldier of the Pantheon

Mulligan to 6 due to only having red mana and white spells.

I open with Traveling Philosopher which trades with a Baleful Eidolon.  I play Wingsteed Rider, they play Prowler's Helm.  I play Hero of Iroas and Arena Athlete.  They play Cavern Lampad which I kill with a Fall of the Hammer.  They play Akroan Conscriptor.  I bestow Spearpoint Oread into onto my Hero and the Conscriptor trades with Athlete.  They play Servant of Tymaret and an Asphodel Wanderer, which do nothing to keep me from winning.

Game 3 - 327316042

My opponent opens with a Deathbellow Raider into Felhide Brawler into Nyxborn Eidolon while I a Traveling Philosopher into Cavalry Pegasus.  I bestow my Philosopher with Hopeful Eidolon.  They play Bolt of Keranos to kill my Philosopher.  I play Nyxborn Shieldmate to trade with the Eidolon.  They play Two-Headed Cerberus.  I bestow Observant Alseid on my Hopeful Eidolon, and they play Lash of the Whip on it.  I try to trade my Alseid for their Brawler but it is killed with a Coordinated Assault.

I play Stoneshock Giant which kills their Deathbellow, and they play Akroan Conscriptor which I kill with a Bolt of Keranos.  They play Fanatic of Mogis and win the game.

I made a misplay by just playing my Nyxborn Eidolonbecause I miscounted my mana, thinking I could play a Stoneshock Giant instead.  I should have bestowed it onto my Hopeful Eidolon, which would have put it out of Lash of the Whip range.

Lessons Learned


  • Mulligan hands that don't have much potential
  • Make sure to double count mana before making plays

No comments:

Post a Comment