I also have some new-found respect for Prognostic Sphinx. That Scry 3 helped a lot to dig for the cards I needed to stay in a winning position.
Entry
2 Tix, 1 BNG Booster, 2 THS BoosterRares
Fated Retribution, Heroes' Podium, Prognostic SphinxPrizes/Sold
1 THS BoosterDraft
Picks
Final List
Toughest part when drafting was that I saw a lot of decent white and blue go by as there were too many good picks several packs in a row.
Around Pack 2 I started to contemplate switching and took the Opaline Unicorn and Vulpine Goliath as a result as I didn't see any cards in my colors. However, I didn't see any other open colors that were worth jumping too.
I also felt very pressed at the end for creatures at the end. I ended up picking up several artifact creatures just to ensure I would have something to play.
Final Decklist
The plan was to be very aggressive. With multiple copies of both the Ordeal of Thassa, Nimbus Naiad, and Dauntless Onslaught, I was hoping to get through for lots of damage.
I also had Fleetfeather Sandals and Prowler's Helm in my sideboard if I needed more evasion abilities, and a Fated Retribution and Eternity Snare for cases I would need to wipe the board or deal with singular large creatures.
Games
Round 1
The first round was against a WUGGame 1
I start by playing a Gorgon's Head while my opponent started with a Sedge Scorpion into Omenspeaker into Voyaging Satyr. My first creature was a Chorus of the Tides and they play one as well. I play Prognostic Sphinx, and they play Nessian Courser.I attack with both my creatures, and my opponent taps Voyaging Satyr to untap a land. I play it safe, I Sudden Storm their Chorus of the Tides and Nessian Courser to prevent any combat tricks. They play Travelers Amulet, sacrifice it, and Retraction Helix my Prognostic Sphinx. I play Bronze Sable and Traveling Philosopher to block for me
I use Triton Tactics to untap my Chorus of the Tides and to keep their Chorus of the Tides and Nessian Courser tapped down. However, they save their Chorus of the Tides with a Mortal's Resolve. They play a Satyr Wayfinder and I replay my Prognostic Sphinx. They play Nessian Asp which I kill with a Divine Verdict. I attach Gorgon's Head to my sable, and trade it with their courser. They play Setessan Oathsworn and Akroan Skyguard which blocks my chimera. I trade my Chorus of the Tides with theirs, and play an Aerie Worshippers. They scoop.
Game 2
I mulligan to 6 because I had 2 plains, and all blue cards.I start with a Favored Hoplite which they remove with a Sedge Scorpion and a Time to Feed. I replace it with an Aerie Worshippers and they play an Agent of Horizons.
I then play Prognostic Sphinx. They Status Walk their agent. I create a token with my worshipper and play Omenspeaker. They plat a Thassa's Emissary onto their agent. I kill the agent with a Divine Verdict. they play Chorus of the Tides.
I make another token, they play Siren of the Fanged Coast. I Sudden Storm his two flies and opponent scoops.
Round 2
The second round was against a RG deck.Game 1
I play a Bronze Sable, which my opponent killed with a Spark Jolt. They start with a Courser of Kruphix, and I play an Archetype of Courage. They play a Feral Invocation on their Kruphix, and eventually a Reverent Hunter. I had a Divine Verdict in hand, but I saw they had a Mortal's Resolve because of the Courser's ability. I tried to keep the match going as long as possible without reveling too much to try to get more information on their deck.Ultimately, I kept hand I should not have as I was mana-screwed for blue mana. and couldn't make any plays for most of the game.
Game 2
I started with a Setessan Battle Priest and they started with a Voyaging Satyr. I Ordeal of Thassa my priest. They play a Satyr Firedancer. I play a Lagonna-Band Elder. They play a Setessan Oathsworn. I bestow a Nimbus Naiad on my Priest. They tapout to bestow a Spearpoint Oread on their Oathsworn. I bestow my Lagonna-Band Elder with my second Nimbus Naiad and swing for the win.Game 3
+ Last Breath- Prognostic Sphinx
They start with an Akroan Crusader, while I start with an Omenspeaker . I play Ordeal of Thassa on the Omenspeaker, they play Flamespeaker Adapt. They Aspect of Hydra on their Crusader for a token to block my Omenspeaker, they play Portent of Betrayal on my Omenspeaker. However, I Sudden Storm his two creatures. He plays Nylea's Disciple and I Last Breath the Flamespeaker. I play a Nimbus Naiad which I try to use to kill his Disciple with a Dauntless Onslaught but he had a Savage Surge to stop it. They then use Bolt of Keranos on me.
I play my second Naiad. they play Voyaging Satyr. They then kill me with a second Portent of Betrayal.
Unfortunately, I was getting mana flooded this game, so I didn't have as many responses as I would have liked. I had 10 lands in hand and in play by turn 9. My other options that game were to bestow onto my Omenspeaker, but given the life totals, I don't think I could have raced him and won once his centaur came into play.
Round 3
Final round was against a WUR deck.Game 1
Opp starts with a Loyal Pegasus into Wavecrash Triton and I an Archetype of Courage into Chorus of the Tides which was killed with a Magma Jet. I replace my flier with a Prescient Chimera which they Voyage's End, and play a Wingsteed Rider.I replay my chimera and they play a Spellheart Chimera. I develop my board with a Bronze Sable and Traveling Philosopher. They bestow their Wingsteed Rider with a Ghostblade Eidolon. Unfortunately I lose shortly after as I can't deal with the flying creatures.
Game 2
+ Last Breath+ Anvilwrought Raptor
- Gorgon's Head
- Crackling Triton
I Mulligan down to 5 due to lack of lands.
Opponent started with an Impetuous Sunchaser and I start with an Omenspeaker which dies to a Minotaur Skullcleaver. I replace it with an Aerie Worshippers. They play Ordeal of Purphoros onto their Minotaur and Magma Jet my Chorus of the Tides. They play a second Minotaur Skullcleaver, and there wasn't anything I could do to stop such an aggressive start.
Lessons Learned
- F3 cancels the F6 command in MTGO. Should save me from future mis-clicks.
- I need to be more aggressive with my mulligans. If I don't have a decent opening play or plan, and I don't have a high celing of potential for my hand, I should just throw it back.
- A repeatable scry effect really helps in controlling whether you get cards, or lands when you need it.


No comments:
Post a Comment