Sunday, March 23, 2014

BNG Draft #6

This draft I went 1-2 with a BR(G) deck with a Minotaur sub-theme.  I actually would have made it into the finals had I not made a mistake on the last turn of round 2, so the deck at least had the potential.  Although I know it's not the greatest strategy, I will try to force Minotaur when I get the chance as it seems like it would be a really fun deck to play, especially when you get all the card you need to make it work.


Entry

2 Tix, 1 BNG Booster, 2 THS Boosters

Rares

None

Prizes/Sold

1 THS Booster

Draft


Picks





Final List




Pack one was a little rough as I wasn't really sure what direction I was trying to go in.  A Ragemonger wheeled, so I thought I would go for Minotaur, and started to force red and black as I thought it would be amusing to play tribal.

I saw a lot of green cards in my second pack, so I was hoping that by passing on all of them, I would signal that it was open, and cut of red and black hard.  By the end of pack two, it was very evident I should have stayed in green, and was just praying that I would see Minotaur in the next pack.

I also ended up passing a lot of white cards in my THS packs, so that was another option I could have taken.

Final Decklist




So...I didn't quite get what I was looking for.  I got a total of 7 Minotaur, but I didn't get any Minotaur Skullcleavers which really would have helped me with an aggressive deck I wanted.

I splashed some green cards to also give me some power that my deck was lacking.  While it will increase the variance in my deck, the win conditions in my two color deck were sub-par at best, so I might as well give myself the potential to win in games where everything comes together.

I also opted for an 18 land deck as it was more critical for me to hit my land drops.  I was hoping to be able to keep myself alive with my removal, and my cantrip auras.

Games


Round 1

First round was against a (questionable) UG deck.  I wasn't really sure what it was trying to do, and some of the plays my opponent made were quite questionable.

Game 1

Opponent opened with a Triton Shorethief and I a Satyr Rambler, which they turned into a Boar with a Curse of the Swine.  After a few attacks back and forth, I play a Stoneshock Giant, and my opponent plays a Snake of the Golden Grove which does not get tribute.  I swing with both my creatures, and kill the Triton in combat, and the Snake with a Fall of the Hammer.  I develop my board with a Stormcaller of Keranos.

They rebuild their board with a Nessian Asp.  I swing with all and kill the Asp with my Giant and a Coordinated Assault.  Opponent replaces it with a Vulpine Goliath which I take with a Portent of Betrayal for the win.

Game 2

Opponent opened with two Charging Badgers and I a Deathbellow Raider with an Ordeal of Erebos.  My opponent plays Aspect of the Hydra on a badger on during their main phase before attacking when my Minotaur is tapped.  After exchanging a number of attacks, my opponent plays a Nylea's Disciple, and attacks with one badger.  On their end phase, I kill a badger with a Fall of the Hammer, and on my turn, I take the Disciple with a Portent of Betrayal and swing for the win.

Round 2

Round two was against a mirror RB Minotaur deck.

Game 1

I keep a 5 land hand as I also had a guardian was hoping for more spells.

Opponent opened with two Fleshmad Steeds  and a Returned Centaur while I a Felhide Minotaur and Guardians of Meletis.  Opponent plays a Stoneshock Giant and I play a Satyr Rambler.  I play a Kragma Warcaller, they play Read the Bones and kill the Warcaller with a Bolt of Keranos.  They monstrous their giant and they swing with all and win.

Game 2

+ Rage of Purphoros
- Grisly Transformation

I opened with a Kragma Butcher while my opponent started with a Rageblood Shaman which I kill with a Mortal's Resolve.  They kill my Butcher with a Bolt of Keranos.  I replace my Butcher with a Felhide Minotaur and they play a Felhide Spiritbinder.  I bestow my Felhide with a Nyxborn Wolf, and they play a Minotaur Skullcleaver.  I play a Borderland Minotaur. and they kill it with a Rise to the Challenge.  I use Portent of Betrayal on his Spiritbinder to steal and untap it, create a token of my Felhide, and swing for the win.

Game 3

Opponent opens with a Rageblood Shaman and a Deathbellow Raider which is killed with a Bolt of Keranos.  I replace my Minotaur with a Kragma Butcher.  They play a Fanatic of Mogis and I play a Stoneshock Giant.  I try to enchant my Butcher with a Dragon Mantle but they kill it with a Lightning Strike.  I bestow a Nyxborn Wolf onto my Giant.  I play Borderland Minotaur.  I take a few attacks, and once I had enough mana, I tapped out to monstrous my Giant and swing with all.  Unfortunately, my opponent had a Lash of the Whip on hand to kill my Borderland and win the game.

I also had a Mortal's Resolve and Portent of Betrayal on hand, so what I should have done was use those to remove his blockers and protect my guys for the win.  I should have gone with that play instead as it had less risk and would have won me the game earlier.

Round 3

Last round was against a very fast WU deck.

Game 1

Opponent Mulligan to 5 on the play.  They open with a Bronze Sable into Wavecrash Triton into Battlewise Hoplite and I a Ragemonger .  I enchant the Minotaur with a Dragon Mantle and play a Felhide Minotaur and Deathbellow Raider. I then play Stoneshock Giant then Satyr Rambler.  They play Siren of the Fanged Coast which I kill with Fall of the Hammer.  They chump block with the Sable.  They attach Ordeal of Heliod on the Hoplite, but I kill it with a sip of hemlock and win.

Game 2

Mulligan to 6 due to no mana.  They open with a Hopeful Eidolon into Akroan Skyguard into Cavalry Pegasus.  I open with a Stormcaller of Keranos which they Retraction Helix.  They play  Nyxborn Triton.  I play Guardians of Meletis which they tap with a Glimpse the Sun God.  I replay my Stormcaller.  They play another Cavalry Pegasus and win the game

Game 3

I removed the larger creatures and single target spells that wouldn't do much, and added in things to deal with the swarm that they had.
+ Spark Jolt
+ Scouring Sands
+ Priest of Iroas

Kragma Warcaller
Portent of Betrayal
Ordeal of Erebos

Mulligan to 6 as I didn't have any spells.  I open with Priest of Iroas and Kragma Butcher, and they a Lagonna-Band Elder.  I play Guardians of Meletis.  They play a Battlewise Hoplite.  I swing with all, they block, I play Coordinated Assault to blow them out, but they Retraction Helix my Butcher to save their Hoplite.  They play Ordeal of Heliod and Ordeal of Thassa on the Hoplite. They then bestow their Hoplite with Hopeful Eidolon and I quickly lost to their 8/8 lifelink creature.

Lessons Learned

  • I need to be more attentive to what all my plays are in any given situation, and which ones have more risk involved.  This could be the difference between winning and losing games.

No comments:

Post a Comment