Thursday, March 27, 2014

BNG Draft #9

This draft I went 3-0 with a UG(B) deck for my first BNG draft win.  Overall I was pretty happy with my deck.  It felt fairly consistent and flexible as it had multiple winning conditions.  I also didn't feel like I had any issues with mana, in terms of having the right colors when I need it, or even just having enough in play.

Interestingly enough, I found that the Divination and Nylea's Presence I main-decked wasn't very helpful, as more often than not, it felt more pressed to use my mana to develop my board instead.  More often than not, they felt like dead cards in my hand.

With my deck, getting in damage where I could in the early game put my opponent in positions where I could close them out in 

I'll also start to record the game numbers so the replays can be watched on MTGO.

Entry

2 Tix, 1 BNG Booster, 2 THS Boosters

Rares


Prizes/Sold

1 BNG Booster, 2 THS Boosters, 1 Season 4 QP

Draft


Picks





Final List




This game I felt like going green creatures  Partway through pack 1 I started noticing a lot of blue being passed around, so I started to move into that to be my off color.  Several times I was tempted to take black, but given how most of my green creatures wanted to be aggressive, I thought better to not take the defensive black cards to avoid another problematic deck.

Pack 2 didn't feel so good as I didn't see many blue or green cards at all.  I took a Burnished Hart to give my some room to splash.  Midway through the pack I had a surge of cards, but even still I wasn't super excited with what I had to play with.  Pack 3 I had a huge surge of blue and green cards, but the problem was that they were all at once.

Final Decklist




The plan was to just keep getting out larger and larger creatures until I could overrun my opponent.  If that doesn't work, my creature can stall, while I use a flying enabler to help my get in that last huge swing.  If the air is well defended, there is a pair of Agent of Horizons that will do the job.

I also splashed for the Reaper of the Wilds for it's scry and deathtouch abilities.  Not only will it help to keep me alive, but it can easily help clear out my opponent's board, especially if paired up with a combat trick.

Games


Round 1

First round was against a removal heavy BR deck

Game 1 - #327002684

On the play, Mulligan to 5 due to no lands initially, then all lands.

I open with a Swordwise Centaur which is instantly killed with a Pharika's Cure.  I play an Agent of Horizons to replace it which is killed with a Lightning Strike. I replace it with a Nylea's Emissary.  They play a Minotaur Skullcleaver and swing.  I swing back.  They play Felhide Brawler, and I kill the Skullcleaver with a Savage Surge.  They play Servant of Tymaret.

They try to kill my Emissary with the Servant and a Rise to the Challenge, but I save it with a Crypsis.  They then kill it with an Asphyxiate.  I play Sedge Scorpion, and later a Nessian Asp.  I trade the Scorpion with their Minotaur.  I play Divination then Nessian Courser which they kill with a Bolt of Keranos.  I monstrous my Asp and attack, and they delay their defeat with a Lash of the Whip.  They didn't draw anything to keep them alive any longer and I won the game.

My opponent complained in chat saying that they got flooded - from what I could see they had 8 mana by turn 12.

Game 2 - 327004982

I swapped out one of my smaller creatures as it wouldn't have much impact due to all the removal my opponent had.  It would either die in the beginning in combat, or die with a combat trick or spell, so opted to push my curve a tad higher.

They open with a Thoughtsieze and make me discard Nylea's Emissary.  They play Felhide Brawler and I play a Nessian Courser.  They play Blood-Toll Harpy and I play Graverobber Spider.  I bestow my Courser with a Nimbus Naiad.  They chump block with the Harpy.  I play Pheres-Band Raiders and my opponent concedes the game, citing not drawing one of his 9 mountains all game.  Perhaps they should have taken a mulligan earlier on.

Round 2

This round was against a heroic WG deck.

Game 1 - 327008530

I open with a Sedge Scorpion into an Agent of Horizons, while my opponent a Chronicler of Heros bestowed with a Leafcrown Dryad, which trades with my Scorpion.  They play a Centaur Battlemaster.  I play a second Agent of Horizons.  They bestow the Battlemaster with a Nyxborn Shieldmate.  I play Divination.  I use Crypsis to chump block the Battlemaster.  They play a Celestial Archon, while I play a Nessian Courser and attack with one Agent.  They bestow the Archon with a Leafcrown Dryad and use mortal's resolve for the win

I should have played a Nimbus Naiad instead to block the Archon, which would have allowed me to win with my two Agents.

Game 2 - 327010698



I open with a Vaporkin into Nessian Courser, while my opponent plays a Nessian Courser and they trade.  I play an Agent of Horizons.  They play Chronicler of Heros.  I play a Voyaging Satyr.  They play a second Chronicler of Heros.  I play Reaper of the Wilds.  They play Celestial Archon.  I swing with the Agent and Reaper.  They double-block it with their Heros and I save the Reaper with a Savage Surge and win the game.

Game 3 - 327012430

Brought in a counterspell to deal with the Archon.  Also, I felt too pressed to have the mana available to play the divination.


Opponent takes a mulligan to 5 cards.

I open with a Vaporkin while my opponent plays a Nyxborn Shieldmate with a Chosen by Heliod.  I play Voyaging Satyr and Traveler's Amulet.  They play an Ordeal of Nylea on the Shieldmate.  I play Nessian Asp.  They bestow Leafcrown Dryad on the Shieldmate.  I play Agent of Horizons.  I chump bock with my Satyr and I sacrifice the Amulet.  I swing with all, and they Savage Surge the Shieldmate to kill the Asp.  I play Nessian Courser.  They swing with the Shieldmate and I let it through.  They play Leafcrown Dryad and a Celestial Archon.  I use Time to Feed on their Dryad with my Courser, swing with all and win.

Round 3

Final round was against a WR swarm deck.

Game 1 - 327015666

Opponent opens with a Minotaur Skullcleaver and I a Nessian Courser.  They play Chosen by Heliod on the Minotaur.  I swing with the Courser to check for combat tricks (don't see any) and play Reaper of the Wilds. They play Purphoros's Emissary. I swing with Reaper, and they double block.  I activate deathtouch and play Mortal's Resolve to save it.  They try to rebuild their board with a Loyal Pegasus and Satyr Rambler.

I play Archetype of Imagination and swing with all, they kill my Archetype with a Revoke Existence.  I swing with all, they double-block the Courser to trade.  I play Divination, an Agent of Horizons, and win the game.

Game 2 - 327017338

I suspected a fast deck, so I took out cards I did not think I would not be able to play.

Annul


Mulligan to 6 as only I only had 1 land.

I open with a Traveler's Amulet, while they a Setessan Battle Priest into Loyal Pegasus and Cavalry Pegasus.  I sacrifice the amulet to get a green mana and play Nimbus Naiad.  They enchant a Pegasus with Chosen by Heliod and swing for all.  I play Nessian Courser.  They play Priest of Iroas and sacrifice it to kill my Naiad.  I play Pheres-Band Tromper.  They play Dragon Mantle on the Battle Priest, and play Battlewise Valor and win.

Game 3 - 327019538

Additional sideboard to lower my curve a tad, and for the life from the Snake.


I open with a Swordwise Centaur they an Akroan Skyguard which I kill with a Time to Feed.  They replace it with a Minotaur Skullcleaver and I play Voyaging Satyr.  They play Two-Headed Cerberus which doesn't block my centaur.  I play Pheres-Band Tromper.  They play Akroan Conscriptor.  I swing with both my creatures and they trade their Minotaur with my Swordwise.  I play Snake of the Golden Grove which gets tribute.

They play Ordeal of Heliod on the Conscriptor to take my Snake and play a Satyr Rambler to chump block my snake when I get it back.  I play a Nylea's Presence.   Unable to stop my large creatures, my opponent loses the game.

Lessons Learned

  • Having 3 sources for a splash works out very well.  I never felt like I was lacking the mana to play it.  I can see this being a slight problem in decks that want to be faster though.

No comments:

Post a Comment