I also manage to use Eye Gouge to kill a Cyclops to win a game, which made a guy rage-quit the draft.
Entry
2 Tix. 1 BNG Booster, 1 THS BoosterRares
Nessian Wilds Ravager, Temple of SilencePrizes/Sold
1 BNG Booster, 1 THS BoosterDraft
Picks
Final List
This draft, my main focus was on the 2 and 3 cmc creature cards, as I have been finding that there's just so many things I want to be doing with my mana in the late game, I don't necessarily have the mana available to to drop a bomb in the late game. I also wanted to give black another shot, so in my BNG booster, I mainly focuses on black support cards to set me up in the THS boosters, while trying to find a good supporting color. I completely avoided red as I didn't want to get stuck competing for the shallow pool in the two THS colors (unless I saw enough Minotaur, but alas, I did not).
I eventually found myself in white, so I went with going for a slow, defensive, life-leech kind of deck.
Final Decklist
The goal of this deck was to just set up a giant wall of defensive creatures my opponent could not get through. From there, I would use Scholar of Athreos, Servant of Tymaret or Claim of Erebos to slowly whittle down my opponent's life total. I also had a number of harpies I could use to clog up their air, or get some extra damage in.
Games
Round 1
The first match was against a RB(U) deck.Game 1
I open with a Traveling Philosopher into Blood Toll-Harpy, while they start with a Felhide Minotaur which I put a Weight of the Underworld on. They then play their own Blood-Toll.I Grisly Transformation the philosopher but they hit it with a Rage of Purphoros and the harpies trade.
I replace Blood-Toll with an Insatiable Harpy and they play a Stoneshock Giant and a Kragma Warcaller.
I Excoriate the giant and play Lagonna-Band Elder. I try to use it to kill the Warcaller, but a Lost in a Labryth is used to prevent that. My harpy is removed with a Pharika's Cure.
I play a Guardian of Meletis and attach a Claim of Erebos to it. I play Cavern Lampad. He bestows the Warcaller with a Baleful Eidolon. However, I managed to grind him down with my Guardian and Claim of Erebos.
Game 2
+ Dark Betrayal- Ashiok's Adept
I open with a Returned Phalanx into Lagonna-Band Elder into Blood Toll-Harpy and they start with an Archetype of Aggression into Purphoros's Emissary.
I suspected he had a combat trick so wasn't sure how to block profitably. I double block the emissary, but they use Boon of Erebos on it, which kills both my Phalanx and Harpy, and I trade centaur with the Archetype. I play Scholar of Athreos, they play shrike harpy which I pay tribute to., I play Traveling Philosopher, they Rage of Purphoros my Scholar and I die
Game 3
+ Ray of Dissolution- Last Breath
Mulligan to 6 from a 1 land hand. Opponent open with Satyr Rambler, while I a Traveling Philosopher which is killed with a Pharika's Cure. I play Heliod's Emissary and they play two Purphoros's Emissaries. I play Nyxborn Eidolon. and kill one Emissary with a Gods Willing. I bestow Observant Alseid onto my Emissary.
They play Disciple of Phenax and a Whip of Erebos. They use the whip to brings back an emissary which kills my Nyxborn Eidolon. I Weight of the Underworld the remaining emissary and it blocks my emissary. They play Shrike Harpy. and I lose the game.
I had 9 mana on turn 12. Not complete mana flood, but it I didn't draw any answers that I needed to keep myself alive..
Round 2
This match was against a BRG deck. I manage to make such a huge comeback from game 3, that I think my opponent rage-quit the draft because of it.Game 1
I open with a Blood Toll-Harpy and they start with a Springleaf Drum and Burnished Hart into Xenagos, God of Revels. I Last Breath the Hart, and they play Cyclops of One-Eyed Pass which I enchant with a Weight of the Underworld to kill it, but not before it hits me for 10.They play Nyxborn Rollicker, and I play Insatiable Harpy which they Lash of the Whip. I bestow Observant Alseid to my Blood-Toll and they play Priest of Iroas and sacrifice it it to remove the bestow creature. I build my board with a Traveling Philosopher and a Scholar of Athreos. They play Setessan Starbreaker which is blocked with the Philosopher. I play Returned Phalanx which trades with the Starbreaker. I play Servant of Tymaret, they Magma Jet me and play Gray Merchant of Asphodel. I play Lagonna-Band Elder and win.
Game 2
+ Dark Betrayal+ Eye Gouge
- Traveling Philosopher
- Last Breath
Mulligan to 5 because 1 land hands both time, and still only had 1 land. Opponent opened with a Voyaging Satyr and a Disciple of Phenax while I start with a Nyxborn Eidolon which they Magma Jet. They then play a Nessian Asp which becomes monstrous, but I kill it with an Excoriate. I play Guardian of Meletis and they kill me with a Boulderfall.
Game 3
I Mulligan to 6. I open with a Nyxborn Eidolon into Servant of Tymaret and they with a Voyaging Satyr. They play a Pharika's Mender which I kill with a Dark Betrayal. I play a Heliod's Emissary. They kill my Servant and Emissary with a Pinnacle of Rage. I play a Ashiok's Adept, Scholar of Athreos, and Returned Phalanx, while they play Cyclops of One-Eyed Pass bestowed with a Spearpoint Oread.They play Rescue form the Underworld to bring back the Mender. I play Guardian of Meletis.
I chump block the cyclops with my Nyxborn, and later my Guardians to stay alive.
My opponent plays Disciple of Phenax and I play Baleful Eidolon. They play Gray Merchant of Asphodel. I kill the cyclops with an Eye Gouge. I then slowly grind him down from almost full life (with me around 5 life) with Scholar of Athreos for the win.
Round 3
Last match was against a UR deck. I didn't get to see many cards, so I wasn't completely sure what it was trying to do.Game 1
I open with a Traveling Philosopher and a Servant of Tymaretinto Scholar of Athreos. They start with an Ill-Tempered Cyclops. I Claim of Erebos on my Servant and they play Steam Augury to draw some cards. I bestow Observant Alseid onto my Philosopher and win.Game 2
I open with a Nyxborn Eidolon into Servant of Tymaret and they play a Crackling Triton which I Last Breath. Opponent plays two Ill-Tempered Cyclops. I play Insatiable Harpy and a Baleful Eidolon. They Stratus Walk one cyclops. I Claim of Erebos my Servant while they bestow Spearpoint Oread on the other cyclops. They play Sphinx's Disciple which I kill with a Weight of the Underworld, and swing for the win with my Harpy.Lessons Learned
- While I found that BNG has made the format a tad slower, I found that it was a lot more critical to have more 2 and 3 drops to stabilize in the early game, or to beat down your opponent if their draws
- Even though I didn't have any creatures or spells above 4 cmc, I never felt like I had too much extra mana left over - creature abilities helped me use it all up every turn.
- Using an Eye Gouge to kill a Cyclops to win a game feels really epic


No comments:
Post a Comment