Tuesday, March 25, 2014

BNG Draft #7

Overall I went 1-2 with a bi-polar BG deck.  Ignoring how I felt like I had lots of mana issues, I think that my deck was trying to go in different directions, which made it feel very awkward to pilot.  I had a number of aggressive creatures, but not enough support to just run over my opponent - for this it would have been in red.  I also had a number of good stalling cards and ramp, but no large creatures to ramp into.

Entry

2 Tix, 1 BNG Booster, 2 THS Boosters

Rares

Boon Satyr, Sylvan Caryatid, Pain Seer

Prizes/Sold

1 THS Booster

Draft


Picks





Final List




This time, I avoided red as I didn't want to fight over it.  I tried to cut hard in black, and picked up a few good green cards.  After picking up three Swordwise Centaur, I also decided to partially move into green if it was open for a heavy green devotion deck.

Pack two I saw a number of green cards in groups, but I didn't see anything outstanding.  I also didn't see anything amazing in black.  There was a few times I was tempted to switch into blue though.  Aside from that, there was nothing too exciting about this pack.

Pack three I started to see some better options, especially in terms of green cards, which confirmed for me that moving in was the right choice.

Decklist




My main strategy was to just keep attacking, and hope that I would come out on top in race situations.  I was thinking that all the deathtouch enablers I had would act well enough as removal, and all my double costed green permanents would give me huge bonuses with devotion.

Games


Round 1

My first round was against an aggressive WR(U) deck.

Game 1

Mulligan to 5 as first hand had no lands, and the second only had lands.

Opponent opened with a Priest of Iroas into Burnished Hart into Minotaur Skullcleaver.  I cast a Boon Satyr in the attack phase to kill the Priest.  I tried to kill the Minotaur with an Aspect of Hydra, but they kill my Satyr with a Searing Blood.  They play a second Priest, while I play a Swordwise Centaur.  They play a second Minotaur Skullcleaver.  I play a Nyxborn Eidolon, which is killed by my opponent by sacrificing the priest.

This game I was slightly mana flooded, and color blocked - I had 6 mana on turn 8 after a Mulligan to 5 cards, and and half my hand was black when I only got Green mana.

Game 2

+ Swamp
- Forest

I opened with a Sedge Scorpion into Sylvan Caryatid into Blood-Toll Harpy while my opponent a Leonin Snarecaster enchanted with an Ephara's Enlightenment.  I play a Nylea's Disciple.  They block the Disciple with their Leonin, and I try to kill it with a Necrobite.  However, they save it with a Gods Willing, and kill my Harpy withe a Last Breath.  They then play an Archetype of Courage, and from there, stall the board until they got a Two-Headed Cerberus and kept bouncing Ephara's Enlightenment on it until they won the game.

Round 2

The next round was against a RG deck.

Game 1

My opponent opened with a Fleetfeather Sandals into Spearpoint Oread and I a Swordwise Centaur with an Ordeal of Nylea.  They play a Cyclopes of One-Eyed Pass which is killed with a Necrobite.  Their Oread is enchanted with a Dragon Mantle, they play an Ill-Tempered Cyclops, and I play a Sedge Scorpion.  They kill my Centaur with a Fated Conflagration and attach the boots to the cyclops.  To defend in the air, I play a Blood-Toll Harpy bestowed with a Baleful Eidolon.  They switch the Fleetfeather Sandals to the Oread and I play a Nemesis of Mortals.  I chump block the Oread with the Harpy, and they play a Nessian Wilds Ravager.  Unable to stop their flier, I lose the game.

I also got mana flooded this game.  On turn 8, I had a total of 10 lands.

Game 2

+ Anvilwrought Raptor
+ Lash of the Whip
- Nyxborn Eidolon
Necrobite

I open with a Sylvan Caryatid into Read the Bones and Sedge Scorpion while my opponent a Nylea's Presence into Nessian Courser.  My opponent plays a Reaper of the Wilds and trades his Courser with my Scorpion.  I replace it with a Nemesis of Mortals, which is immediately killed with a Fated Conflagration.  I replace it with a Baleful Eidolon which is killed with a Bolt of Keranos.  They play a Flamespeaker Adept and enchant it with a Dragon Mantle.

I try to kill the reaper with my Caryatid, a Feral Invocation and Necrobite, but they kill my enchantment with a Destructive Revelry.  From there I lose the game.

I got mana flooded again.  I had a total of 9 mana on turn 9.

Round 3

I got a bye in the last game, so there was no game to play.

Lessons Learned


  • When drafting, just because a card is on color, it does not mean I should pick it.  It should fit the strategy of the deck and work with your other cards towards a common goal



No comments:

Post a Comment